These following posts where originally posted on British Council Finlands blog.

24.11.2010

Maria blogging/tweeting from Cancun COP16

Thousands of negotiators, NGOs, business representatives and heads of states from all around the world will meet in Cancun, Mexico, for the climate negotiations, COP16, starting next week. British Council will provide for 15 climate champions to participate in Cancun. I will be the only one from Europe. Now I need to know what message do you, as the youth of Europe, want me to take to Mexico?!

I will be blogging from Cancun, so follow this page!

My name is Maria Vuorelma and I’m one of the climate advocates of 2010-2011 from Finland. In summer 2010 I was elected to be one out of 17 climate advocates in Finland, under the British Councils Challenge Europe program. I hadn’t heard about British Council before but I had seen an excellent presentation at a seminar of the climate advocates of last year.  I’m 27 years old and work part time for the Nordic Council of Ministers. I’ve studied environmental economics at the University of Helsinki, with social psychology as my minor subject.

I’ve done my internship for the Ministry of the Environment of Finland. I am writing my master’s thesis on CDM, one of the flexible mechanisms about emissions trading under the Kyoto Protocol, for a private consulting company, specialized in emissions trading. Last summer I was involved in a start up that will bring clean technology to East-Africa, in order to empower the local community and fight climate change and deforestation.

My first presentation in primary school was about rainforests. I didn’t realize until upper secondary school that not everyone cares about the environment as much as I do! I love skiing and will do everything in my power to keep the winters of Finland snow covered!

More info about the youth climate movement:
http://youthclimate.org/

You can find more info about the Finnish projects and advocates here:
http://www.britishcouncil.fi/projects/climate.htm

Best wishes,
Maria